A couple weeks ago I shared the master bathroom makeover project I did to finally repair our DIY Project that went from bad to worse. I didn’t do a ton of work in the room to make a big impact and create a more updated space to suit our tastes. I also didn’t have to spend a lot of money to create such a change which was maybe my favorite part. Today I thought I’d share a little bit of just what I did and how I did it in the hopes that I may help you with a makeover project you’ve been wanting to tackle.
I say it time and time again, but paint is always a fairly inexpensive way to make a big change in a space that needs updated. Whether you paint the walls, a piece of furniture or even the ceiling or floor, paint can do wonders for changing the look of a room.
I started the makeover with the walls. I knew I was going to repaint the room so I needed to prep the walls. The drywall patch that B did over the sink needed to be sanded so I started there. Next I removed with Command Strips that were serving as my jewelry organizer.
Unfortunately the command strips didn’t pop off without damaging the walls like they claim to so I had some repair work to do before I painted. UGH!
I already knew I was going to need drywall patch for another project so I simply cleaned up the areas that were damaged and patched them with the compound. Because it was so thin, it didn’t take very long to dry so I was soon able to sand and touch up anything that needed it before moving on. Here is the wall repair kit I used.
In the meantime, I also scuffed up the finish on the vanity top and finished my work on the patch that B had done on the wall above the faucets. When my walls were patched and smooth, I cleaned them to make sure there wasn’t any dust and then I was ready to paint.
When I was able to start painting, I started by cutting in around the trim and cabinets.
My wall repair from the command strips is completely undetectable.
When I finished the first coat on the walls, I moved on to the vanity. I started by emptying the drawers and removed them all from the cabinet. Next I removed all the old hardware.
My new hardware didn’t have the same hole spacing as the old so my next step was to patch the holes from the original hardware. Using the same joint compound as I used on my walls I carefully filled each hole and let it dry. Once dry I sanded until smooth and then went back and refilled any holes that weren’t smooth yet.
Once dry and sanded and completely smooth, I was ready to paint. I chose to use chalk paint which requires no primer and very little prep work. There are varying brands out there. I used Renaissance Chalk Furniture Paint in Celadonite.
I felt it was a bit pricey but I read a lot of great reviews and really wanted to try it for myself.
I have to say, this paint is worth the money. The colors are beautiful and there are a lot to choose from. The paint is available in a variety of amounts so you don’t feel like you have to buy too much for a small project like this. Two lights coats plus a final touch up and I was done plus it only takes about 15-20 to dry.
When the paint was fully dry and I was satisfied with the coverage, I went over the entire cabinet with the chalk paint protective topcoat. For the bathroom, I wasn’t sure about the wax and how well that would protect from moisture so I gave the Rustoleum Matte Topcoat a try. It went on watery but covered well and the end result was exactly what I was looking for. It is matte but not as matte as the chalk paint is on it’s own if that makes sense.
Once the painting was done, it was time to measure for the new hardware. I measured each drawer side-to-side and top-to-bottom to find my center and then measured out from the center on each side to find my hole placements. Then I pre-drilled my holes for each of the handles. Once my holes were drilled and began attaching the handles.
The Counter Top
For the top, I used the same sanding blogs to scuff up the surface like I explained above. Once I had the surface sanded, I cleaned it with a damp cloth making sure I removed any remaining dust from all the sanding. I then began painting.
For the counter I used Rust-Oleum Ultra Matte Chalked Paint in White Linen. I have used this paint for a few projects now and for the price I really like it. I will say that after my first coat I was a little nervous that I had made a big mistake. The coverage on the first coat was not very good and the paint seemed to just “slide” around. I took my time and did my best to keep the coat even and then allowed it to dry.
The second coat stuck better but the coverage was still not very good. Just like the first coat, I took my time and kept the paint light and even all over the top and sides. I ended up needing a third coat and this time it went on just like I wanted. If you are interested in the hardware I used, I am using these.
Once the paint was dry, I went over the entire surface with the same matte topcoat I used on the cabinet. For the counter, I did two coats just for extra protection.
The Final Product
For a one-day project, B and I feel like we have a completely new bathroom! It’s amazing what some paint and new hardware can do to completely change the look and feel of a space. That is once again why I always include paint as a simple and inexpensive way to update a room.
Leave a Reply