B and I started working on the truck camper the day he brought it home. I admit we were both very energized to get working on it but as time has passed, progress has slowed a bit. The good thing is that we are nearly done so I’m hoping to get things finished up very soon but in the meantime, I wanted to share with you our old truck camper makeover progress.
If you want to see photos of the camper the day we brought it home, check that out here. Of course the first thing I did on the inside was clear it out. I took all the cabinet doors off, took down all the old curtains and pulled out the cushions.
Once I had everything moved out, I started priming all the fake wood surfaces. I read some other blogs and articles about what type of primer was best and settled on Zinsser which is my personal favorite brand of primer. (Kilz is good too but I prefer Zinsser.) This stuff works great and did a great job giving me the perfect base for my paint.
I painted all of the wall and cabinet surfaces except the ceiling. Next, I primed and painted the doors to all the cabinets and the refrigerator door. Finally, I took all the hardware off the doors, including the hinges and spray painted everything a matte black.
The cushions weren’t in bad shape for their age but they were really outdated looking and didn’t feel clean when you touched them. B and I took the covers off the cushions and recovered them in two different fabrics.
I’m still trying to decide on curtains because I’m not loving the option that I originally found. The fabric I found isn’t exactly what my original plan showed either so that threw off my curtains bit.
The next step of the remodel is the flooring and I think that will really change things! I’m so excited at how things are turning out. This was such a fun makeover and B and I are getting anxious to get the truck camper out and actually use it.
As you can see, Ozzy was helping while I was putting the doors back on and I just couldn’t resist his sweet little face.
I’ll share more details as we get them done including the floors and the sticky subway tile that we are putting around the kitchen area. So much fun!