Our Master Bathroom was one of our first big projects in our large fixer upper house. It was also a project we had to do with a pretty tight budget. We did the best we could to create the kind of bathroom we wanted on such a budget.
Last week I shared how this room was one of our DIY projects that went wrong in a couple of ways. While we have made some necessary repairs already, we never really finished the room. I have reached a point where I’m tired of seeing the patches on the wall and the yellowing counter top so I’m making a few updates. Below is what we’ve been living with and it’s not pretty.
B and I love a modern farmhouse look but in the bathroom we really wanted more a modern, coastal vibe that is less rustic and more spa feeling. The vanity is a vintage dresser but the marble tile floors, marble and glass tile inset in the shower and even the vessel sinks lean more modern so I wanted to carry that theme through the updates that I am making.
I started with new hardware on the vanity. The original hardware were vintage milk glass pulls that I bought online. I make the mistake of painting them which at the time seemed like a good idea but they haven’t worn well.
The new hardware is simple and sleek but at the same time, kind of bold. They are a big change from the small, vintage knobs that I am replacing. Since all the other metal in the room is silver, I like the look of them.
For the walls, I needed to start with sanding and smoothing out the patch on the wall above the sinks. This is where we had to remove some of the tile back splash that got in the way when we replaced the sink faucets.
Once the walls were sanded, it was time to repaint. I
The last thing and maybe the thing that has made the biggest impact in the room is the temporary fix to our counter top. I considered marble contact paper like here and here. I considered doing the concrete feather finish like we did on the shop counter. I considered roping B into tearing the sinks out so that we could actually replace the counter top but in the end, I decided to just paint it for now. With so many other projects still to tackle around the house, I felt like I could make it work for now and it would be better than it was.
I still need to touch of the trim throughout the room, figure out some privacy blinds and new drapes and repaint the door but I am really excited about these modern updates. There are still things to do to get the space to where we would like it to be but I’m content and it feels so much better in here!