Last year over at Raspberry Creative, I featured a fun, DIY heart pillow project I did to add some festive fun to my home for Valentine’s Day. I’ve never really been in to Valentine’s Day but I thought I quick and easy DIY project would be fun. It didn’t go over too well in the shop but I thought it might be fun to share here.
My mom and I made blank pillow covers a few years ago out of this natural fabric for a project in the shop. When I stopped selling the pillow covers, I was left with several that I had no use for. I used those leftover pillow covers for this project but any plain pillow cover will work. If you sew, these would be super cute made out of drop cloth fabric!
Step 1: The Pillow Cover
I started by ironing my pillow covers so I would have a nice, flat surface to work on.
Step 2: The Computer
I went to my computer and created a heart shape that I could print out. You can hand-draw one or use clip art to get the shape you want. I then printed out my heart shape on a piece of cardstock.
Once I had my heart shape printed out, I cut out the shape. The goal is to end up with a stencil so be sure not to cut all the way through your outer shape.
Step 3: Position and Paint
Once I had my stencil cut, I placed it on my pillow over where I wanted it to go and taped it down just to keep it from moving and then I was ready to paint.
I used a spray fabric dye because that is what I had. We made colorful totes to sell in the shop and I liked how they blended so that is what I used here. Any fabric paint will work fine.
This fabric dye sprays one so I simply held the bottle straight above the stencil and sprayed to my preferred coverage.
What I love about this dye is how the colors blend. I really like the ombre look.
You will notice above that I also added some scraps around the edge of my stencil so I didn’t get any overspray on the pillow. Depending on the fabric paint you choose, you may not need to do this.
Once I was finished, I removed the stencil and let the pillow covers dry flat over night. Once they were fully dry, I put them in the dryer for a few minutes to set the dye per the instructions on the bottles.
I should have straightened up the cushions before taking the photos but this is reality with four dogs and a husband. The entire project took less than 30 minutes and was pretty simple.