Summer is slowly winding down but that hasn’t stopped us from trying to finish up more of our backyard project list. We’ve definitely realized we aren’t going to get through the whole list this year but we are feeling pretty good about the difference we’ve made in our yard this year. In fact, we were finally able to finish the patio this past weekend and now that it’s finally done, we are both smiling.
We had already finished most of the hard work on the patio area and moved our furniture but we still had to lay in the stone around the perimeter and along the stream. This took a quick trip to the landscaper we use to get a scoop of stone and after a few wheelbarrow trips and some raking, the stone was in place.
This patio area has been such an eyesore for so long, seeing it now it’s hard to believe that only a month ago, it was an overgrown weeded mess. We have been enjoying spending time out there in the evenings now.
One additional project we did with the leftover retaining wall caps was form a base for our fireplace to sit on the other side of the stream.
BACKYARD PROJECT LIST
- Take out the garden and move it to the back corner as a smaller area in beds.
- Plant some privacy trees / shrubs along both sides of the fence to add a little privacy from the neighbors.
- Add pond and water feature
- Add some landscaping to “pretty” the yard.
- Finish the patio area with fire pit. (You can read about how we started this project here.)
- Add stone area with Adirondack chairs on the other side of the pond
- Add some fun lighting to the landscaping
- Install new siding on back of house and paint
- Build door for garden shed and paint entire shed
- Add Trim to corners and around openings on shed
- Add walkway from sidewalk to rear gate. ( you can check out this project here.)
- add lattice or something similar to close off underside of deck
- + more…
We will most likely not add a lot of lighting yet this year and we’ve scrapped doing the mulch bed along the shop side of the yard for now but I’d love to get the siding and trim finished up before it gets cold so we’ll see. We have a few remaining camping trips planned that will take up a handful of weekends but regardless of what more we get done, the transformation we’ve made in our yard this year is pretty drastic. What projects have you been doing around your yard this year? I’d love to know.
Leave a Reply